Case of the Chineseification of WinRT apps

So I added two Chinese input methods to my Windows 8 Enterprise x64 (en-GB) system…

image

Please note, I did not add Chinese as a display language. And my desktop UI remains in English…

However WinRT apps…some (but not all) are in Chinese…In email the default folders had switched to Chinese

image

Finance app was in Chinese…

image

Calendar was in Chinese…

image

Internet Explorer remained in English…

image

Store was in English…

image

Settings was in English and English keyboard was selected…

image

Full settings page was in English, and couldn’t find any setting about Chinese

image

I launched ProcMon (http://live.sysinternals.com/ProcMon.exe) and then launched and affected app that wasn’t already running

I found the process ID of one of these WinRT apps using Task Manager, selecting the icon, right clicking and select ‘Go to details’ (Task manager must be in expanded view for this option to be available)

image

Ok here it is, process ID 7164

image

I then set my procmon to filter on PID is 7164

image

Knowing that Chinese is usually referred to with a ZH prefix (for ZHong wen = 中文 = Chinese [language])

Adding filter to log Details contains ZH I found these keys.

image

I noticed the order en-AU, zh-Hans-CN, and then finally en-GB which was the current display language…

It seems like some of these apps are checking for a display language in the order of user profile languages, irrespective of whether they are display language or not. Since most people don’t bother to write in true blue aussie language…none of these apps had en-AU language available. But next on the list was Chinese, so they displayed in Chinese.

This was proven by re-ordering the input languages with the display language set as first:

image

Problem solved!

My Windows 8 apps had mostly reverted back to English…(after they restarted…i.e. killed in task manager, waited to die on their own, or logged off/on)

image

Finance app…

image

Thankfully this had the issue all sorted out

But why…

I suspect these new advanced language settings have something to do with it…

In Clock, Language and Region control panel item select Advanced Settings

image

Here we had selected Use The Language List

image

For people using US English this will not be an issue, as almost all apps have this language already there…but for those of us with alternate versions of English + multiple IMEs will get this issue, unless you override Windows display language here, or Ensure the common English IME (EN-US/EN-GB is set first)

About chentiangemalc

specializes in end-user computing technologies. disclaimer 1) use at your own risk. test any solution in your environment. if you do not understand the impact/consequences of what you're doing please stop, and ask advice from somebody who does. 2) views are my own at the time of posting and do not necessarily represent my current view or the view of my employer and family members/relatives. 3) over the years Microsoft/Citrix/VMWare have given me a few free shirts, pens, paper notebooks/etc. despite these gifts i will try to remain unbiased.
This entry was posted in Language, Sorting It All Out, Windows 8 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s